Monday, June 28, 2010

Birthday Celebrations

So two days ago (June 26), I celebrated my 24th birthday. There was nothing different about the day or what took place, but it really made me think about the 23rd year of my life and what I had or had not accomplished. I look back on the year and realize that I held one job for 5 months (a job I didn't mind, but couldn't keep because of the migraines) and was an accompanist for the middle school choirs at a high school near my home. Both had felt fairly gratifying, especially playing for the kids, but it made me think that I didn't accomplish anymore. It made me doubt what I had really done for the world. I feel like I am in the same place I was when I started - trying to be healthy, look for a job, and enjoy "me" time. But while I was busy thinking about all the things and accomplishments that I didn't have, it also made me appreciate the things that I do have:

I have a roof over my head, clothes to wear, a bed to sleep in, food to eat, books to read, a computer to blog on, a phone to talk to family and friends, and a boyfriend who has been willing to take care of me when I am not working. I thank God every night for giving me what I need to get by. Granted, if I had to, I could get by with far less, but I'm also not looking to get more physical things in my life - I just want to accomplish goals and dreams. I recently found a poem called "I Pray You Enough" by an anonymous author that really made me think about my life. Here it is:

"I Pray you Enough" Anonymous Author

I pray you enough sun to keep your attitude bright no matter how gray the day may appear.
I pray you enough rain to appreciate the sun even more.
I pray you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive and everlasting.
I pray you enough pain so that even the smallest of joys in life may appear bigger.
I pray you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.
I pray you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.
I pray you enough hellos to get you through the final good-bye.

Take the time to remember all the things you are thankful for and all the things you are lucky to have. I know that I need to do that more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment