Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A slight delay...

It has been over a week since I last wrote -- unfortunately. I have been meaning to try and update this blog on the interesting magazine articles that I have been reading, but have had some of the worst migraines of my life recently. These migraines have been so debilitating that I have not been able to spend much time on my computer, let alone updating my blog or getting much reading done. But, lucky for you, I have read a couple of interesting articles recently.

I was reading Smithsonian magazine and came across an intense article about Auschwitz. For those who don't know what Auschwitz is, it was a concentration camp during World War II. The article was predominately about the need to provide preservation for Auschwitz and the nearby Birkenau (also known as Auschwitz II). There is a slight debate taking place over whether Birkenau should be restored as most people think that these concentration camps need to be experienced or whether it should be left to vanish on its own, much like the millions of people that were killed there. The article talked about the condition of the current camp and described the human hair that is still on display for everyone to see. You can read the full article here: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/Can-Auschwitz-Be-Saved.html

I also wanted to pose this question: Do you think that historical sites, such as Auschwitz, that were home to some of the most horrendous acts in history should be preserved or left alone?

No comments:

Post a Comment