Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I should follow my own advice

I recently came across a situation where I felt obligated to give someone some advice. That person was my father. He's in a situation where he has a goal he wants to accomplish, but with so many tasks in from of him, he's not sure he can do it. So I told him about how he should be optimistic and how being pessimistic isn't going to get us closer to our goals. It made me realize that I need to be the same way. I have been so hopeless and pessimistic about my conditions that I have sheltered myself from hope. Optimism is something I definitely need to start believing in again.

I actually finished a magazine this morning. I don't know if I have previously explained my magazine situation, so here it is. About 9 months ago, I subscribed to two magazines: Time and Smithsonian. Both of these magazines are tremendously good (in my opinion) and I looked forward to receiving them. Time is a weekly magazine so I knew I would get that every week, while Smithsonian was a monthly publication. Now my boyfriend also receives Sporting News, which comes every other week. Now I am also a sports fan so I was reading that too. So there are three magazines that I am reading. Well, back in October of 2009, I kind of slacked off on reading my magazines because I was working then and didn't have a lot of free time. Normally I would be able to read a magazine and then read a book before the next magazine came in the mail. Well, after about two months, and no longer having a job, I had a stack of magazines to get through and once the migraines got worse, so did the pile of magazines because I couldn't read for very long. I'm proud to say that I finished reading the Sporting News from the beginning of February -- I know...almost two months behind and began the Time from the weeks of Feb 8th. I know what you're all thinking..."Man, she is really slow at this reading thing." But to be honest it has been the migraines and vertigo that have significantly affected my reading. I used to be able to read for hours at a time. Now, after about 30 min to an hour, I'm feeling dizzy, or tired and so I have to put down whatever I am reading.

I'd be interested to know what magazines any of you subscribe to and what you like about them or whether you think they are good magazines. As always, I appreciate your recommendations on anything I should check out. Remember...my goal is 75 books this year, so I better start reading more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment