Sunday, January 17, 2010

Ah....date night.

So last night after being treated to a lovely dinner at Red Lobster by my boyfriend (whom I shall call Fierce Football Fan for blog purposes), we decided to go rent a couple of movies. We each chose a movie and came home.

Having never seen either of these movies, I was kind of interested to know why one of them was up for an Oscar last year, and how the other one would compare to previous war movies I had seen. We first watched a movie called "The Hurt Locker", which was FFF's choice for a movie. I did not read anything about the movie, nor had I seen any previews for it before. The movie had the feel of a documentary almost, as it did not really seem to have any sort of plot that it was really following. The reality of the setting, being placed in 2004 during the Iraq War, made it feel like I was watching something that was taking place live. It turns out that while there seems to be no plot throughout the movie, the idea that a soldier may feel that all he is meant to do is fight in battle sticks out tremendously. It made me realize how much harder it must be for the men and women in our armed forces to readjust to live outside the battlefield. This movie was different from any other war movie that I have ever seen and made me feel like I was seeing the true emotions that the brave men and women of our country feel.

The second movie that we watched was nominated for an Oscar last year. "Rachel Getting Married" was a movie that I thought would blow me out of the water, as I frequently expect Oscar nominees to be able to make me emit that kind of emotion. While Anne Hathaway did an incredible job of playing a recovering addict, there were moments when I felt that the feelings were not as sincere as they should have been. There were moments of greatness and moments when it felt like there was no way that people could change their feelings that fast. While the concept of the movie was good, I felt that the execution could have been slightly better. I can't quite put my finger on the exact moment when I started to look at my phone to see what time it was, but anytime a movie cannot hold my attention, it is usually a movie that I don't plan to see again.

Has anyone seen either of these movies? Any opinions?

No comments:

Post a Comment